• alt="" data-uk-cover="" />

    All-Centennial Team

  • alt="" data-uk-cover="" />

  • alt="" data-uk-cover="" />

    Stanley Cup Champs

    Disappointing effort from the Bruins in the third period leads to Wild's 4-3 win

    Photo by Brian Babineau/NHLI via Getty Images
    Despite a big night from Seth Griffith, the Bruins fell to the Minnesota Wild 4-3 in a game that should not have gotten away from Boston.

    The Minnesota Wild had something to prove after giving up five goals in the third period in last night’s game against the New York Rangers, and they aimed to redeem themselves in tonight’s contest with the Bruins. They were able to do so, overcoming a two-goal deficit in the third to win the game.

    The Bruins’ first chance came early into the first, with the puck dancing on the goal line before Mikael Granlund swept it out. A little over five minutes into the period, the Wild struck first, with Nino Niederreiter finding a seam in the high slot to put the Wild up 1-0.

    With 4:41 left in the period, Dennis Seidenberg went to the box for holding on Charlie Coyle, putting the Bruins on the penalty kill. So far this season, the Wild have not been unable to convert on a power play, despite being given 24 chances so far – and tonight was no different.

    Milan Lucic’s physical presence along the boards with Justin Falk allowed a cross-ice pass from David Krejci to Seth Griffith striking late in the third, tying the game for the Bruins. The Wild’s Jason Zucker headed to the box for tripping, sending the Bruins on the power play.

    With 1:10 left on the power play to start the second, but the Bruins were unable to produce. Niklas Backstrom absolutely robbed Carl Soderberg, who knocked the puck out of the air after a pass from Loui Eriksson.

    Griffith tallied his second goal of the night after a set up from Gregory Campbell to put the Bruins ahead. The Wild turned up the pressure late in the second - with about 8 minutes left on the clock, Tuukka Rask bailed out Reilly Smith after the puck was stolen from him by Charlie Coyle, who quickly tried to convert.

    What would have been the tying goal from Thomas Vanek was called off after a review of the play determined that the puck never crossed the line. With 4:35 left in the second, the Bruins were put on their second power play of the night after Kyle Brodziak was called for tripping Smith. This time, the Bruins were able to convert on the power play – a series of great passes ended with Lucic tipping home a drive from Torey Krug. Griffith picked up an assist on Lucic’s goal, giving him his third point of the night – certainly making a case for himself in terms of proving that he belongs.

    The Bruins were put on the penalty kill early in the third, with Brad Marchand going to the box for holding. With Rask doing a great job of tracking the puck and making timely stops, the Bruins were able to kill the penalty and return to full strength. Zach Parise scored a little less than five minutes in, tipping home a deflection to put the Wild within one. The lead kept unraveling for the Bruins, with Justin Fontaine beating Rask to tie the game.

    Seth Griffith was sent to the box with a little less than 11 minutes left, called for goalie interference. However, the PK was nullified as Backstrom was called for embellishment. Marco Scandella beat Rask late in the third, putting the Wild up 4-3 to win the game.

    Talk hockey with us. Follow @ryescaf and the rest of the team @BruinsLife.