It's the day after the start of the Free Agency period and boy what a day it was. It was like Christmas morning in the middle of the summer for NHL fans everywhere. Teams signed free agents, blockbuster trades were made, and fans minds exploded.
Boston Bruins News:
- The Bruins have tendered RFA Jordan Caron. Bruins fans everywhere burst in outrage apparently not realizing that the Bruins can get compensation if Caron signs with another team.
- Forward Jarome Iginla has signed with the Colorado Avalanche. It leaves a gap on the Krejci line that could be filled by a possible free agent (Vrbata is the front runner).
NHL News: (BRACE FOR IMPACT!!!)
- Jason Spezza was traded to the Dallas Stars for Chiasson, two prospects, and a second round pick.
- The St. Louis Blues signed former Colorado Avalanche center Paul Statsny to a 4 year $28 million dollar deal. Statsny will be the Blues new top line forward.
- BUFFALO BUFFALO BUFFALO. They did a lot. The Sabres traded for Canadiens defenseman Josh Gorges, signed former Canadiens captain Brian Gionta to a 3 year $12.75 million dollar deal, signed Andrej Meszaros to a 1 year $4.125 million dollar deal, signed Matt Moulson to a 5 year $25 million dollar deal and re-signed Buffalo native Marcus Foligno. Phew.
- The Red Wings have re-signed defenseman Kyle Quincey to 2 years at $4.25 million a year.
- The Islanders signed Cory Conacher to a 1 year deal.
- The Penguins have re-signed Marcus Goc to a 1 year $1.2 million dollar deal.
- The Lightning brought in Nabakov to back up Ben Bishop.
- Brian Boyle signed with the Rangers for 3 years and will be making $2 million a year.
- WASHINGTON THIEVES. The Caps signed both Brooks Orpik and Matt Niskanen away from the Pens. Orpik will be making$27.5 million dollars over 5 years while Niskanen signed a 7 year deal with an annual salary of $5.75 million dollars. Rob from the rich and give a lot of money to two defenseman, it's a tale as old as time.
- DEVILISH MOVE. The Devils signed Havlat to a 1 year $1.5 million dollar deal and also signed Mike Cammalleri to a 5 year $25 million dollar deal.
- The Wild signed Thomas Vanek for $19.5 million dollars over 3 years.
- Calgary signs goalie Jonas Hiller to a 2 year $9 million dollar deal.
- Shawn Thornton signed a 2 year deal with the Panthers. :'(
- Goalie Ryan Miller signed with the Vancouver Canucks and will be making $18 million dollars over 3 years. A win for Jim Benning.
- PANTHERS. The Panthers signed forwards David Bolland and Jussi Jokinen as well as adding veteran (37) defenseman Willie Mitchell.
- Oilers signed both Benoit Pouliot and Mark Fayne.
- The Islanders signed former Bruins backup goalie Chad Johnson to 2 years $2.6 million dollars to backup Halak.
- The Penguins may have lost two defenseman but they did sign recently bought out defenseman Christian Ehroff to a 1 year $4 million dollar deal.
- The Avalanche traded picks to the San Jose Sharks for veteran defenseman Brad Staurt.
- Brad Richards signed with the Chicago Blackhawks for 1 year at $2 million dollars.