• alt="" data-uk-cover="" />

    All-Centennial Team

  • alt="" data-uk-cover="" />

  • alt="" data-uk-cover="" />

    Stanley Cup Champs

    Bruins come back in third period to defeat Winnipeg 2-1 in OT

    Dougie Hamilton scored the game winner against Winnipeg. Photo: Steve Babineau/ NHLI via Getty Images

    The Boston Bruins hosted the Winnipeg Jets for their only match-up this season at the TD Garden. The teams traded unsuccessful power-plays in the first ten minutes of the opening period. Rookie David Pastrnak was given a chance to play along-side Patrice Bergeron and Brad Marchand and generated some scoring chances for the second line midway through the first period. Winnipeg got another chance on the power-play with just over five minutes left in the period. Dustin Byfuglien fired a shot from the blue-line and got past Rask to give the Jets the first goal of the game at 16:24. Winnipeg got a third chance on the man advantage on a Patrice Bergeron holding penalty, but were not able to capitalize.

    The second period saw Boston come out with more energy and a long time in the Jets' zone gave them an early power-play opportunity. The Bruins got several scoring chances, but Winnipeg goalie Michael Hutchinson made the saves. Evander Kane was able to get behind the Bruins' defense, but Tuukka Rask poked the puck away before Kane could get a shot off. Later on in the period, Dustin Byfuglien had another breakaway for Winnipeg, but Matt Bartkowski broke up the chance. Boston got their third opportunity on the man advantage late in the second period as former Bruin Marc Stuart was called for roughing. The Bruins were not able to finish their chances and went into the third period still without a goal.

    In the third period, Boston had some early scoring chances, but Hutchinson was again up to the task. However, with just over three minutes played, Milan Lucic finished a nice pass by Carl Soderberg. The Bruins rode this wave of momentum and rookie David Pastrnak barely missed on a nice opportunity. The teams then exchanged scoring chances in the middle part of the period, but neither could score. Both goalies made some big saves during this sequence and the game opened up more in the final seven minutes. With three-and-a-half minutes left in the period, Brad Marchand received a double minor for high sticking. Winnipeg generated some shots on net, but Gregory Campbell had the best opportunity with nearly thirty seconds left in regulation. Campbell did not get enough on his shot and the game went to Overtime.

    Winnipeg still had thirty seconds of power-play time in the extra frame, but the Bruins killed off Marchand's double-minor. The Bruins kept pushing the pace and eventually Dougie Hamilton buried the feed from Carl Soderberg and gave his team the extra point.

    Follow @kevclance19 and @BruinsLife for all of your Bruins coverage