Top 5 all-time Boston Bruins defensemen
The Boston Bruins have a long and storied history, and over the years they have had many great defensemen. Here are five of the top Boston Bruins defensemen in their history:
1. Bobby Orr: Widely considered one of the greatest hockey players of all time, Bobby Orr played for the Bruins from 1966 to 1976. In that time, he won two Norris Trophies (awarded to the best defenseman in the league) and eight consecutive Hart Trophies (awarded to the league's most valuable player). He also led the Bruins to two Stanley Cup championships.
2. Ray Bourque: Ray Bourque played for the Bruins from 1979 to 2000, becoming the team's captain in 1985. In that time, he won five Norris Trophies and became the highest-scoring defenseman in NHL history (a record since broken by Nicklas Lidstrom). Although he never won a Stanley Cup with the Bruins, he did win one with the Colorado Avalanche after being traded in 2000.
3. Eddie Shore: Eddie Shore played for the Bruins from 1926 to 1940, and is considered one of the best defensemen of the pre-World War II era. He won the Hart Trophy four times in his career, and was known for his tough, physical style of play.
4. Zdeno Chara: Zdeno Chara played for the Bruins from 2006 to 2020, serving as the team's captain for most of his tenure. He won the Norris Trophy in 2009 and led the Bruins to a Stanley Cup championship in 2011. At 6'9", he is also one of the tallest players in NHL history.
5. Brad Park: Brad Park played for the Bruins from 1975 to 1983, and was known for his smooth skating and offensive ability. He won two Norris Trophies with the Bruins and helped lead them to the Stanley Cup Finals in 1977 and 1978.
Honorable mentions include Dit Clapper, who played for the Bruins from 1927 to 1947 and served as their captain for 14 seasons, and Terry O'Reilly, who played for the Bruins from 1971 to 1985 and was known for his physicality and leadership.